Monday, September 17, 2012

End Table Redo

So it has taken me awhile to post this due to the flu hitting our house pretty hard.  I was finally able to finish last night.  These end tables we bought at a garage sale for $20.  I loved the look, just not the stain.  I used the General Finishes Gel Stain Georgian Cherry on them and I think they turned out great.  Here is the before.


 After cleaning the table off, they were in the garage for a bit collecting dust while I worked on other projects.  I was working up the energy to sand them, but with the gel stain I did not need to.  I removed the drawer and legs and started on the base.
I love this stain, look at just one coat.  Although I did not go all the way to the end of the base. I wanted to see what it looked like and was so excited that I went ahead and took the picture.

 Here is the table, drawer and legs after one coat.  I think it looks pretty good with the darker cherry stain rather than the light wood look.
Unfortunately, Liam decided that while it dried it needed his footprints on the top of the base, so I had to add one more coat on the top.  But here is the finished product.
I used the foam brush technique, it put the stain on more smoothly and evenly than a rag or sock did.  The sock method is great for unfinished wood, not really for wood that has a coat of poly on it.  It took me a few days to do because the flu hit us and then the added bonus of wee footprints in the stain.  But it was a fun project. Here is the before and after of the tables.

I think the cherry makes the tables look richer in color and more "antique".The total cost of this product was around $45.  $20 for the tables, $20 for the stain and $5 for a large pack of foam brushes.  I'm telling you this stain is the best, even to just have around the house for quick projects.



Happy Re-mollying!
Molly






No comments:

Post a Comment