Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ottoman Project

Prior to our move I picked up two matching club chairs at a thrift store for less than $10 a piece.  I loved the chairs and so did Josh, even though he referred to them as girly.
As you can see, our wee one, Liam, loves the girly chairs.  The pattern is blue country toile.  There was something missing though, matching ottomans.  The hardest part was finding matching fabric to the chairs.  Thank goodness for Ebay!  The chairs have a accent of blueish gingham and blue cording.  The blue cording I purchased from Jo-Ann fabrics, the lumber, legs and hardware came from Home Depot.  First thing first, I put Josh to work making the frames for the ottomans while I painted the legs to match the legs on the chairs.


The legs were around $2-$3 a piece.  The lumber was less than $15 and the hardware was around $5.  When the frame was done I secured the gingham fabric around the frame with my staple gun.  It overlaps around the edges and I secured them with upholstery tacks to cover up the staples.
After the gingham was attacked, I secured the blue cording to the top with staples.  All it is missing now is the top.  The top was fairly easy as well.  I secured the matching toile fabric to the top with staples, leaving a side unsecured so I could place the stuffing inside.
The top was secured using 90 degree brackets.  And my husband used U-shaped brackets to secure the legs.  Though the fabric is not the same design, you cannot tell unless you really look.  And here is the finished product.
The whole projects cost around $30-$40 all together, including the chairs.  This is why I love shopping at my local thrift stores.  You never know what you will find if you look.

Happy Crafting!
Molly


No comments:

Post a Comment