Thursday, August 23, 2012

Seaglass Project

So I saw this project on Pinterest and I thought it looked kind of cool.  I usually tend to stay away from glass projects due to a brother who is a glass artist and puts anyone I know to shame with his artwork.  Yet this was a simple craft that I thought would be fun.  Its very simple, you take glass candlesticks (I bought mine from the dollar store), glue, and food coloring.
You mix the food coloring with the glue to get the colors that you want.  I wanted to try a lilac at first and added a few drops of blue and red until I got the shade I wanted.  I am sure you can do any color imaginable.  Because I am in the holiday present making stage right now I figured I would make them in the colors for the people I had in mind for this project/gifts.

As you can see it is a bit of a deeper lilac, but keep in mind that it will get lighter as it dries.  To paint I used a flat tipped brush and painted on a few coats.

After the candlesticks were painted I let them dry for a few hours.  I liked the project so much that I made two sets.
This could also be a great project for older kids to do for presents during the holiday season.  In total it was $1 per candlestick, $.50 for the glue (you have to love back to school sales), and the food coloring was in my pantry.

Happy Crafting!
Molly


No comments:

Post a Comment